stem (pl. stems)
- (botany) The above-ground stalk (technically axis) of a vascular plant, and certain anatomically similar, below-ground organs such as rhizomes, bulbs, tubers, and corms.
- A narrow supporting structure on certain man-made objects, such as wine and champagne drinking glasses.
- (linguistics) A part of an uninflected word to which endings may be added to form inflections of the word.
- (typography) A vertical stroke of a letter.
- (music) A vertical stroke of a symbol representing a note in written music.
- (nautical) The vertical board at the bow of the boat where the planks are joined.
- (nautical) The vertical or nearly vertical forward extension of the keel, to which the forward ends of the strakes are attached. (FM 55-501).
4 letters in word "stem": E M S T.
Anagrams of stem:
Words found within stem: